Monday, January 5, 2009

It's -40°F, Time to Get Cozy

January usually marks the time for temperatures to plummet in Fairbanks, Alaska and this year is no exception. We have had a mildish winter to this point, so having the temperatures hover between -35°F and -40°F for the past week with no relief in sight could be depressing if not for good books, good food and the internet. I got very cozy with a great cookbook that I ordered last summer. Click on the title to get a copy for yourself: Incredible Edible Gluten-Free Food for Kids: 150 Family-Tested Recipes

My kids are in their 20's, but I got the book because I work with kids and wanted to check out some kid friendly resources. I was pleasantly surprised by the scope of information that Sheri has researched. I really got caught up in all the wonderful information for living a gluten free lifestyle, again well researched. This book also has some fun recipes (try gluten free finger paint or playdough) as well as fun recipes to fill a kid's stomach or an adult's looking for comfort food. (Hey I did say it was -40°F!)

I did have fun playing around with some of these recipes last night but this morning I went back to one of my favorite comfort foods - waffles. Topped with real maple syup or a sauce made from frozen raspberries I picked from my bushes last fall, these make my whole body smile! Here is the recipe in case you are experiencing a comfort food crash. . .

Gluten Free Pecan Waffles

1 cup brown rice flour
½ cup finely chopped pecans
½ teaspoon zanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ cup melted butter or canola oil
1 cup rice, soy or almond milk
1 egg

Combine eggs and milk. Add dry ingredients and melted butter or oil. Beat well. Cook in hot iron until steam stops and waffle is golden brown. This recipe fills my Belgian Waffle Iron twice.

If you are not dairy-free, these waffles are great with strawberries (even thawed) and sweetened whipped cream.

Ahhh comfort food! What is your favorite comfort food?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gotta try this, thanks!